Click here to go right to the show on Stitcher, iTunes, Soundcloud, or Google Play.
Join Frank and Meredith as they fanboy/girl with Katy Bowman. They discuss topics from Katy’s book Movement Matters.
Those conversations include:
- What is the conventional definition of nature?
- Are we the single unique thing in the universe?
- What is the Katy Bowman definition of nature? It’s all about the discordance of rates for change things these days.
- Find out the round about way that Katy realized that she was part of an ecosystem.
- How do you reconnect with your natural ecosystem? Short story: Transition. But… you could…
Quantify things – Butt to chair ratio, indoor to outdoor time
- Because we can’t see something, we can’t investigate those questions
- We wanted to ask Katy about getting naked in nature. But ended up talking about her experience with cold thermogenesis…
- “When you’re in the river, you’re part of the river for the time that you are in it” ~KBow, 2017
- Think about how a butterfly adapts to its environment – not ready for flight when it’s out of the chrysalis. You are a butterfly 😉
- We’re immobilized by our situation. Or so we perceive.
- Movement is intrinsically linked to what it means to be human, but it’s never really considered…
- Life is dynamic. Movement matters.
Are critical thinking skills becoming a lost art? Are we outsourcing our thinking? How do we teach the next generation to think for themselves?
Is it too dangerous to be a critical thinker?
Can we have a society of critical thinkers?
Critical thinking means being responsive to information, not just accepting it. It doesn’t mean you can’t have an opinion, or agree with someone else’s opinion, it means that you can, in your own words, describe your own ‘why’.
How do you cultivate these skills? Well, if your child asks you, ‘Why?’ you might ask them ‘Why do you think?’. By comparing and contrasting ideas. By challenging your beliefs. By understanding that there are more than 2 options, and not falling for a false dichotomy.
Unlock your own intellectual independence. If you haven’t heard the Calf Path show – give it a listen. Forge your own path.
Also – I’m in love with Word Porn. I love this one:
Go right to this episode on soundcloud here.
Welcome to Adventures In Humaning. We (that’s Meredith & Frank) would very much like to invite you to come along, with an open mind and a curious spirit, to get lost with us in a meandering adventurous conversation about what it means to be human.
We are excited to share this introductory episode with you! Many thanks for joining us. We want you to get to know the vision we have for this podcast, get to know us and to provide you with a glimpse into our philosophies and musings on life and what we think it means to be human.
Come on over to our Facebook Page to human with us.
Here’s some information and ideas that are relevant to this show: