This week, we delve deep into an interesting topic. We challenge you to expand your definition of what you consider to be an extreme environment.
Normally, we consider extreme environments to be those that test the very limits of human survivability. We take this perspective, twist it around, and pose a new question. What if the environment that we normally consider most safe, docile and mundane, is actually the most extreme environment?
We are talking about our modern, updated, sterile, climate controlled homes. Our artificially lit, heated, cooled, cleaned manufactured and furnished home environment.
We encourage you to join us, in this meandering conversation with an open mind and a curious spirit.
Here are the show notes, references, and other tomfoolery:
In case you were wondering about our intro… Cats purr, a biological explanation
Extreme environments that bacteria live in:
- Mid ocean ridges
- hydrothermal vents
- 7 miles deep into the crust of the Earth
- Algae, Bacteria that live in ice
- High altitude bacteria. Top of Himalaya Mountains
- Hot Springs
- Bacteria in unprotected outer space
Are we inadvertently suporting an environment where we create a catalyst for superbugs?
We have a long-standing relationship with bacteria.
The microbiome and clothes…
- How is the ecosystem and the microbiome of our skin affected by the clothes we wear.
- Bacterial exchange in washing machines… yep.
- Natural vs. Synthetic clothes and odor…
- The sun – maybe not so much a ‘natural disinfectant’ so much so as the environment outside is a bacterial re-balancer.
Bacteria spray for litter boxes. Mother dirt?
Polyface farms and sustainable biomimicked agricultural systems
If you like anything you heard here if it intrigued you, resonated with you, got you thinking changed your perspective where you found value in the information provided, or if it moved you in someway. Please give us the pleasure of a personal review and or rating and iTunes.
We may even read it on the podcast.
We would also like to encourage you to join the conversation get involved in the meandering discussion by way of social media whichever is your favorite.
We have Twitter
We have Facebook we will see you there.